Derek Hanson's site Runningmechanics.com has an article on lessons learned on athlete development from the late Charlie Francis, Canadian athletics coach. Due to Francis' links to doping and Ben Johnson specifically, I thought about whether to link to this resource, however the post by Hanson is full of coaching wisdom that deserves to be shared and evaluated on it's on merits.
1. Cast a Wide Net
2. Nothing is Too Fundamental
3. Don’t Be Afraid to Walk Away
4. Adapt to Your Individual Circumstances
5. Coach to Your Athletes’ Strengths
6. Don’t be Tied to One Approach
7. Recovery Will Determine Training Objectives
8. Quality Begets Quality
Read the full article - a great resource for athlete development of any discipline.